Are Mums Poisonous to Cats?

There are a lot of old wives tales about what is poisonous to cats and what isn’t. One of these is that mums are poisonous to cats. But is there any truth to this?

Let’s take a look at the evidence. Mums (Chrysanthemum spp.) are part of the Asteraceae family, which also includes daisies, sunflowers, and asters. All parts of the plant contain pyrethrins, which are natural insecticides that can be toxic to both animals and humans if ingested in large quantities.

However, it would take a lot of mums for your cat to get sick – they would have to eat around 3% of their body weight in mums for it to be fatal. So unless your cat is eating an entire mum every day, they should be fine.

Most people know that chocolate is poisonous to dogs, but did you know that mums can be poisonous to cats? That’s right – those beautiful flowers that are often used in bouquets and as decorations can be deadly to our feline friends. The reason mums are poisonous to cats is because they contain a chemical called pyrethrin.

Pyrethrin is a natural insecticide that is found in many plants, including chrysanthemums. When ingested by a cat, pyrethrin can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and even death. So if you have a cat at home, it’s best to keep them away from any bouquets or arrangements that contain mums.

And if you suspect your cat has eaten any part of a mum plant, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

What Happens If a Cat Eats Mums?

If a cat eats mums, they will likely experience gastrointestinal upset. This can manifest as vomiting, diarrhea, and/or decreased appetite. In some cases, eating mums can also lead to choking or blockages in the digestive tract.

If your cat has eaten mums and is displaying any of these symptoms, it’s important to take them to the vet for treatment.

Read Also:  How to Treat Dry Skin on Cats?

Is Garden Mum Safe for Cats?

Garden mum (Chrysanthemum morifolium) is a popular flowering plant, often used in landscaping and as a decorative element in homes. Though garden mums are generally considered safe for cats, there have been some reports of adverse effects in felines. The most common problems associated with garden mum exposure in cats are gastrointestinal upset and skin irritation.

In rare cases, more serious side effects such as liver damage or seizure have been reported. If you suspect your cat has ingested garden mum plants or flowers, watch for signs of illness and contact your veterinarian immediately.

Are Daisy Mums Toxic to Cats?

No, daisy mums are not toxic to cats. In fact, they are actually quite safe for them to ingest. The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) lists daisy mums as being non-toxic and safe for both cats and dogs.

So if your feline friend happens to nibble on a few leaves or petals, there is no need to worry!

Are Mums Ok for Pets?

Mums are a great option for pets! They are low-maintenance, easy to care for, and make great companions. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you’re considering adding a mum to your family:

1. Mums need plenty of sunlight and fresh air. Be sure to place them in a sunny spot in your home or garden where they can get at least six hours of direct sunlight each day. 2. Mums are known for being drought-tolerant, but they still need regular watering.

Water them deeply once or twice a week, depending on the weather conditions. Allow the soil to dry out between waterings to prevent root rot.

Read Also:  Is Aglaonema Toxic to Cats?
3. Feed your mums a balanced fertilizer every month during the growing season (spring through fall).

This will help them stay healthy and produce lots of beautiful blooms. 4. Deadhead spent flowers regularly to encourage more blooming. Simply snip off the wilted flower heads at the base of the stem using sharp scissors or pruning shears.

5 . Keep an eye out for pests such as aphids, spider mites, and whiteflies which can infest mums and cause damage.

Are Roses Toxic to Cats

Roses are one of the most popular flowers in the world, but did you know that they can be toxic to cats? If your cat ingests any part of a rose, it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and even death. The thorns on roses can also cause injury to your cat’s mouth and digestive tract.

So, if you have a rose garden, be sure to keep your feline friend away from it!

Cat Ate Mums

Did you know that cats like to eat mums? It’s true! Just like many other plants, mums are poisonous to cats.

If your kitty happens to nibble on a mum, they may experience vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive drooling. In severe cases, they may have difficulty breathing or even die. So if you have a cat and mums in your home, be sure to keep them out of reach!

Are Mums Poisonous to Humans

Are Mums Poisonous to Humans? The short answer is no, mums are not poisonous to humans. This is good news for those of us who enjoy having these beautiful flowers in our homes!

Read Also:  Is Bird of Paradise Toxic to Cats?

So why was there ever a question about whether or not mums were poisonous? It turns out that some of the chemicals found in mums can be toxic to animals if ingested in large quantities. For example, one of the compounds in mums, pyrethrin, can be harmful to dogs and cats if they eat enough of the plant.

However, this compound is only present in very small amounts in mums and would need to be consumed in large quantities for there to be any real risk of toxicity. In general, it is always best to err on the side of caution when it comes to plants and animals living together. If you have any concerns about your pet being around mums (or any other plant), please consult with your veterinarian.


Mums are a type of flower that is commonly used in bouquets and as decorations. While they are beautiful, they can be poisonous to cats if ingested. The toxins in mums can cause gastrointestinal upset, skin irritation, and even death in cats.

If you have a cat and mums in your home, it is important to keep them out of reach of your feline friend.

Leave a Comment